21st October 1935
Photograph is taken beneath the arches at the base of the massive tower of St Edward's Roman Catholic Church. The tablet above the door in the arch support has an inscription in Latin: 'Pray for the soul of Ralph Grimston who had this tower erected 1866. Died 10th December 1876 aged 78 RIP'. Ralph Grimston donated £1,000 to complete the tower which has remained partially built for a number of years. George Goldie was chosen as the architect to redesign the tower, which, although built in Tadcaster stone, is Romanesque in style. The original design for the tower was much tower.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.