View of Killingbeck Smallpox Hospital which opened in September 1904, originally Killingbeck Hall. The Killingbeck Hall Estate was purchased from Mrs. Meynell Ingram in 1898. In 1913, in line with the National Health Insurance Act of 1911, the hospital was converted as a treatment centre for patients suffering from Tuberculosis and called Killingbeck Sanatorium. At the same time a separately sited, single Smallpox isolation ward was built, which then became known as Killingbeck Smallpox Hospital. The main sanatorium was extended and the new extension opened on 9th July 1936. Around this time there were 29 isolation hospitals, like Killingbeck, run by local authorities throughout the country. The style of the modern building incorporated as much light and air as possible to aid in the treatment of Tuberculosis. The introduction of antibiotics in the late 1940s gradually eliminated the need for isolation hospitals. Killingbeck Hall was demolished in 1978 and, after being converted for other uses, the hospital finally closed in 1997.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.