View of the Abbey Inn from Pollard Lane, believed to have originated as an 18th Century Farmhouse, and first on record as an Inn in 1826. On the left, is the former Aire Valley Dyeworks run by Whitaker & Aykroyd, renamed Woodside Works. Whitaker's purchased the Inn around 1899 in an attempt to control the drinking habits of the workforce, it is believed. It was once used as a mortuary and, perhaps as a consequence, the Inn is rumoured to be haunted.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.