View of Newlay Lane from Newlay Bridge at the bottom. Newlay Lane climbs the hill to New Road Side at Horsforth. Posts are in situ preventing traffic entering the bridge which spans the River Aire. It was decided to close the bridge, a listed building dated from 1819, in 1986 when there were concerns over the weight of traffic. This had been a route between Horsforth and Bramley via Newlay Lane. Pollard Lane is named after John Pollard a local landowner, who built Newlay Bridge. The Toll House, also a listed building, can be seen at the right edge. It lies on the north side of the River Aire, and is constructed in coursed stone, quarried locally, on two storeys with a stone slated pitched roof. The ironwork for the bridge came from Shelf Iron Works near Bradford.