The building in this image is that of the Gatehouse to Middleton Hall, the entrance is flanked by capped stone posts. Smartly dressed youths, sporting cloth caps, stand before the wall of St. Mary's Churchyard. The image may date from 1920 when the War Memorial, to the right, was newly erected. Middleton Hall, a Georgian Mansion onced owned by the Brandling family, burned down in July 1962. It was their home until 1745 when they moved to Middleton Lodge.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.