Image shows York Road Baptist Church located on York Road between junctions of Halton Place and Ainsty Road. It was designed in the Classical style, of the Tuscan order by the Architect, W.H. Harris of Leeds. The foundation stone was laid on 10th July 1872 by the Mayor of Leeds, Mr. John Barran, a prominent wholesale clothing manufacturer who later became an M.P. The Chapel was described, in the late 19th Century, as 'one of the handsomest Chapels in Leeds belonging to this society'. It consisted of three separate buildings with independent entrances; the chapel, a schoolroom for boys and girls and a large infant's schoolroom. The caretaker's house was to the side number 3 Ainsty Road. The portico was supported on pillars and the chapel accessed by a flight of broad steps, 27 feet (approx 8 metres) in width. These steps can be clearly viewed in another image of York Road Baptist Church on the Leodis Website. The Church was built at a cost of £6,500 and could accommodate 750 persons. Most of the upper windows were leaded and were Memorial windows dedicated to the early members. Three of these windows were taken to the new church on Haselwood Drive on Ebor Gardens Estate. The church in the image was demolished to make way for this housing development under a compulsory purchase order. The Rev. George William Pickering was the longest serving minister in the history of York Road Baptist Church.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.