View of Middleton Railway, the oldest working railway in the world, from Moor Road. The railway was established in 1758 when an Act of Parliament was passed, known as the First Railway Act. The first steam locomotives were patented by the manager of Middleton Colliery John Blenkinsop, and built by Matthew Murray at the Round Foundry in Water Lane. By 1812 they could haul 26 tons of coal but were lighter than the first steam locomotives at five and a half tons. Middleton Railway was recognised by Leeds Civic Trust Historic Plaques Scheme in March 2004. The lettering on what appears to be a chimney incorporated into the gateway reads 'Saxby & Farmer Engineers, London 1901', a reputed signalling engineering company.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.