Front view of Thorpe Hall built by Medcalf Proctor in 1735, replacing an earlier structure dating from the late 16th Century. The Hall was Grade II listed in 1964 and is built in red brick with sandstone dressings in the Classical style. The central doorway has a pediment and scrolled consoles. Windows are arranged symmetrically on three storeys but unfortunately many of the panes are missing. The Proctor family coat of arms and crest is also missing from its original central position between the first and second floor windows. An engraving of Thorpe Hall, in its setting, can be seen in Thoresby's 'Ducatus'. It is shown with the original flat, embattled roof. There are some interesting internal features recorded, including a room with wainscotting in carved oak from Howley Hall.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.