Image shows Wetherby Brewery in the Market Place. It was originally owned by Quentin Rhodes and then by his nephew, Mr. Coates, solicitor and clerk to the Board of Guardians. It was sold to Messrs. Braime in 1892 and transformed into a company. This image pre-dates the later ownership of the Wharfedale Brewery as the chimney is absent. Wharfedale Brewery erected the impressive chimney which can be seen in other images on the Leodis website. Here about thirty employees have gathered at the front of the brewery for a group photograph, several wearing long aprons. Reuben Barker stands on the extreme left, a well known local character. Others include, from left to right, J.T. Barker, C. Young, H. Dyson, L. Smith, T. Brunton, W. Lambert, J. Brown, C. Brunton, J.E. March, J. Fulcher, Johnson, Kitchen (Foreman), G. Hartley, J. Lawrence, F. Brogden, G. Hollingsworth, A. Cartwright, W. Hodgson, , J. Whitfield, Jack Kinghorn, C. Lucas, H. Ridsdale, H. Brown, Herbert Dyson, G. Skelton, _______, Stancliffe, W. Greaves, Jack Wood, Reg Simmons. The photograph is thought to date from round about 1900. The chimney was demolished in 1937, and the brewery itself in 1959 to make way for the new bus station. This image is courtesy of R. Akrill Ltd. Website: www.wetherbytoday.co.uk
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.