View of Bishopgate, an old area of town close to Wetherby Bridge. It is thought to have been named after Walter De Gray, the Archbishop of York, who allowed an indulgence, a remission of punishment for sins committed, to those who contributed financially to the building of the Wetherby Bridge in 1233. An elderly bearded man wearing a straw hat smokes his pipe on the steep stone steps of his home. Below, in the street, two boys are visible, one looking directly at the camera. These buildings are now demolished and the locality is known as Bridge Foot, near the Market Place.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.