Aerial view in black and white showing the town of Wetherby. The River Wharfe snakes round in the foreground with a clear view of the weir. Bottom left is Micklethwaite Farm and then the Great North Road crosses the old stone bridge of six arches. The Old Mill can be seen on the western side of the bridge and behind it, the bus station. The Market Place deviates to the left, while the Great North Road continues straight on becoming the High Street, then North Street. Towards the right corner the gasholder is visible. The first gas works were installed in Wetherby in 1845 and gas lighting was in operation from 1852. The Town Hall is almost central to the image at the top of the centre section. To the left, Market Place joins West Gate which bends round to follow the river side. The Cattle Market and cattle pens are directly above the gasholder, and located in Victoria Street.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.