13th September 2003.
View through the entrance of Clothworkers Court, from the north east side of University Road. The buildings were designed by Alfred Waterhouse who chose the Secular Gothic Style and were completed in 1879 at a cost of £70,000. The buildings in conjunction with the Medical School, became known as the Yorkshire College. In 1887, the Yorkshire College formed a partnership with colleges in Manchester and Liverpool to become the Victoria University. It recieved independent status as the University of Leeds on 25th April 1904, when a Royal Charter was signed. Following this, in 1907, the Worshipful Company of Clothworkers gifted the buildings, seen here, and the equipment to the new university. A few words of the inscription are visible around the arch commemorating this gift.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.