27th August 1931.
Image shows the construction site of the new Lewis's department store to be built in the Headrow. At this time the Headrow was undergoing substantial alterations including widening to 80 feet. The Headrow is a major thoroughfare in the city centre which runs from east to west. This view looks west towards the tower of the Town Hall. It is possible to see, left, just how narrow the Headrow (formerly Lowerhead Row) had been before Sir Reginald Blomfield, a London architect, re-designed it. Lewis's was to be constructed in brick and faced with 40 thousand cubic feet of Portland stone. Other landmarks include the distant spire of St. George's Church in Great George Street, right of centre, and, further to the right, at the junction of Cookridge Street with Great George Street, is the tower of St. Anne's Cathedral.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.