September 1933. Aerial photograph showing the whole of J. & D. Brooks' Dean Hall Mill. The mill, originally Morley Finishing Mill, was built with two dams in 1872. Later it became a typical union cloth mill with three major blocks of building. In the foreground are rhubarb fields and sheds off Bruntcliffe Lane with a block of terrace houses called West View. On the right the newly completed through road of Corporation Street comes into Bruntcliffe Lane. To the left of the mill are the sports grounds of J. & S. Rhodes' Ltd, showing three tarmac tennis courts, a crown green bowling green with sports pavilion to one side and part of the large cricket field to the other side. Directly behind the mill are two grass tennis courts of Morley Tennis Club, the houses around Morris Place and the Dartmouth Feast Ground with roundabouts on it. At the entrance to the Feast Ground is the Dartmouth Arms public house. On the other side of the main road from this is Morley Hole with houses around the edge and some at the bottom. On the top left of the picture houses are built on Nepshaw Lane and one side of Asquith Avenue with fields between the other side and Ingle Grove that were soon to be filled with houses. The Ingle estate is in the top left hand corner of the picture, Victoria Road goes off at the middle top and Prospect Mill, Providence Mill and Victoria Mill are at the top right. Photograph from the David Atkinson Archive.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.