This image shows St. Mary's Church in Quarry Hill, now demolished. It was one of the 'Waterloo' Churches funded by the Government to celebrate the end of the Napoleonic wars. The Government had recognised the need to build more Churches in densely populated urban areas and brought in the Million Act. One million pounds was set aside nation wide and Leeds was able to fund three; Christ Church in Meadow Lane, St. Mark's at Woodhouse and St. Mary's. The foundation stones of St. Mary's and Christ Church were laid on the same day of 29th January 1823. The procession left the Court House at 10.00 a.m. to proceed to the Parish Church where a service took place before continuing to the site of the new Church. The architect, Thomas Taylor was present amongst other local dignitaries. On 12th October 1826 the Church was consecrated by the Archbishop of York, Doctor Harcourt. In 1976, in the year of it's 150th anniversary St. Mary's had become derelict and was scheduled for demolition. The tower, as seen in this image, was demolished at 7.00 p.m on Sunday 17th June in 1979. The Church was designed by Thomas Taylor in a simplified version of the Early English style in order to keep to keep costs to a minimum (£12,520). Photograph courtesy of Stephen Howden.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.