View of Whingate Methodist Church and Community Centre, opened in May, 1988, and located in Whingate. It is constructed in red brick with dark green paintwork and railed ramp and steps. The resolve to build a Church in Whingate was made as early as 1876 and society meetings took place in a public house (formerly the Albion) named the British Workman and owned by Firebrick manufacturer, Joseph Cliff of Western Flatts. No alcohol was served and above the door the motto read 'a public house without a drink where men may sit, read talk and think, then safely home return.' The original Church was built in 1879, in red brick like the modern one, and in the Italian Style. Nowadays, the new Church combines its role with that of a community Centre and various activities are held here.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.