During the First World War the Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel was one of the most influential places of worship in Morley, with both Brian Bradley Barker (Mayor from 1913 to 1916) and John Stockdale (Mayor from 1916 to 1919) attending its services. This photograph shows its state in August 1965 when it had been closed for about three years and suffered much vandalism. The organ had been sold and the supermarket firm of Asda Queens decided to convert it into both offices and a shop, and so, not long after this photograph was taken, the building was renovated and the carved stone at the foot of the pediment removed. Like the earlier chapel on the right hand side the building was listed in the 1980s, and so the frontage has since remained substantially unchanged. Photograph from the David Atkinson Archive.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.