Undated. Thornfield, a large house in large grounds on Britannia Road, built by William Jackson about the 1880s and photographed here about the time of the First World War. William Jackson was joint owner with his brother Edward of W. & E. Jackson's Peel Mills, built about 1860 and one of the largest mills in the town. When he died the house was occupied by his daughter who had married William Middlebrook, a local solicitor who was twice Mayor of Morley, in 1896-7 and 1904-5. Later Mr. Middlebrook becam Lord Mayor of Leeds and also the M.P. for South Leeds. He was a keen supporter of H. H. Asquith, the Morley-born Prime Minister. After the First World War, Sir William (who had been knighted by Asquith) retired to Scarborough and the house was put on the market and bought by the Freemasons who have used it as their Morley Lodge ever since. Photograph from the David Atkinson Archive.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.