Image of the High Street looking in the direction of St. Mary's Church taken around 1900. On the left the Royal Hotel can be seen with blooming window boxes at the first floor windows. It was once a posting house where horses could be changed en route. G. Halliday was Landlord here in 1897. Next are shops at the junction with Royal Terrace. On the right is the York City & County Banking Company Ltd. managed in 1897 by William H. Brewer (As listed in Kelly's Directory of West Riding of Yorkshire) on the corner with Bridge Road.