Late nineteenth century view of the Parish Church, St. Mary the Virgin located close to the High Street. It was consecrated on 26th December, 1812. It was enlarged to provide 200 free sittings in 1851 by the architect, Atkinson of York. The Church again underwent reconstruction between 1872 and 1877 when the nave was re-built, and there was the addition of a new chancel, south trancept and clerestory at a cost of £5,000. There were later additions to the stained glass east window of 1884. At the time this photograph was taken the Church could accommodate a congregation of 600.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.