A group of people are just visible on the Thorp Arch Bridge spanning the River Wharfe between Thorp Arch and Boston Spa. William Gossip, the Lord of the Manor of Thorp Arch, instigated the building of the bridge in 1766 by writing to influential people for subscriptions. It is thought, from the information contained in these letters, that the main reason for building a bridge here was to assist the Bramham Moor Hunt in the Chase as local fords were dangerous to cross in pursuit of the fox when the river was in full flood. Plans were drawn up by a Mr Gott at a cost of £10.00 and the bridge was completed in 1772.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.