Image shows the stone built village school in Breary Lane. It was built in 1873 at the instigation of the Lady of the Manor, Miss Dawson. The schoolmaster Mr. Wood, along with his wife, received a salary of £130 per annum and books and slates were purchased at a cost of £11 16s 2d (£11 81p). There were between 60 and 70 pupils, both boys and girls, attending the school from a population of 389 in the village. The village school was undenominational and was not to be used as a Sunday School or for religious meetings. There was a focus on Adult Education and classes were held there for this purpose in the evenings. The West Riding County Council took over the building in 1921 and the school was converted to a youth club at a cost of £8,000. In 1961 the school moved to new premises in Tredgold Crescent. In 1992 Leeds City Council released the former school for development and it has since been converted to apartments, while retaining the original character of the nineteenth century building.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.