leodis logo

Leeds City Council

Open archives compliant site

Supported by BIG Lottery Fund

Enrich UK Lottery Fund

St. Peter's Church, Church View, Main Street


Subject ID:
200659_161303
Location:
Thorner
Subject Year:
Copyright:
The Francis Frith Collection
Class number:
Frith/Box1/T127/THO 8
St. Peter
Description:
Undated. Image shows the corner where Church View in the background meets Main Street in the foreground. St. Peter's Church is located at the bottom of Church View and was consecrated by the Bishop of Ripon on 28th November 1855. The tower is all that stands of the original 15th Century Church which was reconstructed between 1853 & 1855. The tower is built in the ' Leeds District' style of battlemented parapets corbelled out. Visible in front of the Church is the war Memorial and Lynch Gate where a sign gives the times of Whit Sunday Services.

Corrections:
Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks. Email corrections
This photograph cannot be purchased due to copyright restrictions.