View of Farnley Hall, Hall Lane, originally the sixteenth century seat of the Danby family but little remains of that building after the Hall was demolished and rebuilt in 1756. A very eroded inscription, however, can still be seen at the rear which once read 'Builded in the year of our Lord, 1586 and in the reayn of the Queen 78 bi Thomas Danby, Knight'. His great great grandson, also Thomas Danby, became the first Mayor of Leeds in 1661 under the second charter of Charles II. Thomas Danby College was named after him. The Hall and estate was sold in 1799 by William Danby of Swinton, near Masham, to James Armitage, a Leeds Wool Merchant Nowadays, the Yorkshire and Humberside Museums Council is based here.