Photograph of the Broom Pit Rescue Team of Middleton Colliery, demonstrating their equipment for use in emergencies. Originally owned by the Brandling family, Broom Pit was bought by the Middleton Estate and Colliery Company in 1867. They owned it until it was taken over by the National Coal Board. It was the last of the pits of Middleton Colliery to close, in 1968.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.