22nd January 2006.
View of The Sikh Temple (Gurdwara) at number 281A Chapeltown Road. The Grade II listed building was originally the Newton Park (Union Church) Congregational Baptist, built in 1887 to designs by Leeds Architect, Archibald Neill. The church is in the Gothic Revival Style and on the west side the three light gabled central window can be seen. The 520 seater church was built at a cost of £6,500 in front of the site of the former chapel. On an Ordnance Survey map dated 1952 it was no longer a church but was in use as the Royal Airforce Association Club. The original old chapel at the rear was the premises of the Old Central Hebrew Congregational Synagogue at this time. The building in the photograph became The Sikh Temple c1963. It has the Khanda, the emblem of the Sikh religion, above the porch. The Khanda is a double edged sword representing the separation of truth from falsehood. The circle symbolises the perfection of God, who is eternal and is called the Chakar. The two outer curved swords, or Kirpans, remind a Sikh of the equal importance of spiritual aspirations and obligations to society.
Photograph courtesy of James William Bell.