22nd January 2006.
This new Sikh Temple, located in Brandon Way, off Chapeltown Road has the Sikh Centre next door (the red brick building on the right). The centre opened in 1982 to fulfil the social and cultural needs of the Sikh community. The temple is built in brick with a central arched entrance and a huge window incorporation the Khanda, the important emblem of the Sikh Religion. The temple, on the east side of Chapeltown, replaces the former temple, which was housed in what was originally the Newton Park (Union Church) Congregation Baptist built in 1887. The Sikh Temple located there in 1963, a grade II listed building at number 281A on the west side of Chapeltown Road directly opposite the new temple in this image.
Photograph courtesy of James William Bell.