Miners on the afternoon shift at Rothwell Fanny Pit pose for a group photograph. Fanny Pit was the last of the collieries owned by the Fentons and Charlesworths and it produced coal from 1867 until its closure on 9th December 1983. The Charlesworth family were the owners until the coal mines were nationalised in 1948. Fanny Pit was named so after one of the Charlesworth daughters. There was also 'Rose Pit' and 'Jane Pit' named after two other daughters. Pit ponies were used for haulage and there were 160 stabled at Fanny Pit in 1922. The last one gained its freedom in 1972 and retired to live on a farm. Two years after Fanny Pit ceased production the buildings underwent demolition and the shafts were capped.