View of Harewood Castle, a fourteenth century fortified manor house, re-built by Sir William de Aldburgh c1365 of Richmondshire. He held high office as a messenger in the service of Edward Baliol, King of Scotland, and the Baliol coat-of-arms can be seen in the castle. Since 1656 the castle has been unoccupied and became derelict. It is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and Grade 1 listed as the best example in Yorkshire of a 14th century fortified tower-house. Since 2001 an English Heritage lottery grant has enabled extensive renovations to take place. Image courtesy of Paul Baker.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.