View of the chapel at Harewood Castle, a fortified medieval manor house situated off the west side of Harrogate Road. The chapel is located above the portcullis chamber and was entered from the solar. The remains of a traceried window are visible and shields depicting coats-of-arms. Above the window, left, is the Baliol arms of Edward Baliol, King of Scotland. The owner of Harewood Castle, Sir William de Aldburgh, served as a high ranking messenger to Edward Baliol in the 1300s. To the right of the window arch is the Aldburgh coat-of-arms with a lion rampant and a fleur-de-lis. Next right is the Thwenge arms showing a horizontal bar between 3 popinjays. The other heraldic shield is difficult to discern from this image. Harewood Castle is grade 1 listed and has recently undergone a repair and consolidation programme over three years. It dates from c1365 and Sir William de Aldburgh was granted a license to crenellate by Edward III IN 1366. Image courtesy of Paul Baker.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.