View of Rothwell colliery, or 'Fanny Pit'located off Bullough Lane. It was the last of the collieries owned by the firm of J. J. Charlesworth until the nationalisation of the mines in 1948. It produced coal from 1867 until its closure on 9th December 1983. It became known as the Fanny Pit in 1911, when a new shaft was sunk at the Midland pit, after a daughter of the Charlesworth family. (There was also a Rose Pit and Jane Pit.) Another new shaft was sunk in 1922 to improve ventilation. The buildings were demolished about two years after the pit closed and it is now the site of Rothwell Country Park.