Image shows a copy of a lithograph of Swillington Hall, which at this time was the seat of Sir William Lowther esq. The house occupied a site with landscaped gardens overlooking the River Aire. The manor passed from the Swillington family to the Hopton family in 1392 (Thomas Hopton was the illegitimate son of Sir Robert de Swillington). Then it was owned by the Darcy family before being purchased by Sir William Lowther in 1655. After remaining in the Lowther family for generations the house was sold by Sir Charles Bingham Lowther in 1920 to the colliery company, Bowers, who converted it to flats for colliery workers. In 1935 the house contents were sold, including 3,500 books and furniture by Adam, Chippendale and Sheraton. In its heyday twenty indoor servants were employed at Swillington House and there were fourteen gardeners. Unfortunately, due to subsidence from mineworkings, Swillington Hall was demolished in 1952.