View of Townend Yard off the High Street showing, at the far end, the old Church Institute building in Chapel Lane. This cost £1,000 to build in 1883. As well as a Library of about 500 books it provided access to the leading daily and weekly papers. Recreational activities were available for example, Billicards and dominoes. At the time of this photograph the old Church Institute housed Kippax Open Youth Club.