Image shows Aberford Almshouses built by Elizabeth and Mary Isabella (born 1810) Gascoigne in 1844 in memory of their father Richard Oliver Gascoigne (died 1843) and two elder brothers (died 1842). The buildings designed by George Fowler Jones, comprises of 8 two storey dwellings with a central tower displaying the Gascoigne Coat-of-arms. The dwellings were for the occupation of four men and four women, retired tenants of the Gascoigne Estate. A Matron's house was built at the rear and there was a well of 70 feet (21 metres) in depth. Leeds City Council purchased the Almshouses in 1976, after they were vacated by the final tenants, for a sum of £18,000. They were used for the restoration of fine arts. In July 1993 they were sold at auction to the Rushbond Group for £141,500 for conversion to offices. The conversion and restoration was completed by Priory Investments and the development is now known as Priory Park and houses several businesses. It is located on the South side of Aberford off the west side of the main street.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.