The image shows Aberford Mill, an old watermill dating from c1730 and now housing a garage. The waterwheel has long since disappeared, it was the scene of a tragic accident in the 1920s when a young boy was killed after becoming caught in it. This marked the end of the mill's operations and it became a garage which supplied fuel until C1985. Around the time of this image Aberford Mill was owned by George Henry Moon and the miller's name was Arthur Briggs. Water from Cock Beck flowing into a goit turned the mill wheel. It was first stored in a mill pond. It is possible to see where the waterwheel was positioned on the north side of the building nowadays. Since the mill was built the level of the road has been raised, (1898), to solve the problem of flooding at that time. This means that the garage entrance is located on what would originally, prior to that date, have been the first floor.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.