leodis logo

Leeds City Council

Open archives compliant site

Supported by BIG Lottery Fund

Enrich UK Lottery Fund

High Street showing the Royal Hotel


High Street showing the Royal Hotel
Description:
1897. The image shows the High Street looking from the direction of the Church of St. Mary the Virgin. The Royal Hotel can be seen right of centre. It was built by Joseph Taite in 1753 but was enlarged between 1870 and 1880. It was a reputable Coaching House originally called Farriers Hotel then Dalbys. Bramham Moor Hunt held Hunt Balls at the Royal Hotel and an orchestra was engaged specially for the occasion.

User Comments:
This photograph cannot be purchased due to copyright restrictions.