View of St. John's Institute in Boston Road. This started life as the Catholic Institution for the Deaf in Sheffield in 1870. New and larger premises were sought and Boston Spa College with 7 acres of land was purchased in about 1874. Apart from more academic subjects the children were taught a wide range of skills and crafts. Many extensions were added over the years including a farm and a chapel in the 1880s.