The Flint Mill is located about one and a quarter miles upstream of Thorp Arch Bridge near the western boundary with Wetherby. It began as a water powered corn mill around 1772 but when the sails of a Leeds windmill collapsed and were irreparably damaged in 1774 the mill began to grind flint for Leeds Pottery owned by Hartley Green and Company. Thorp Arch was a good location for this industry as the flint was transported by sea from the south coast and upstream from the Humber Estuary via the Rivers Ouse and Wharfe as far as Tadcaster. It was then moved by horse and cart to Thorp Arch. Eventually, due to the changing fortures of Hartley Green and Company the mill reverted back to grinding corn, also to shelling oats. When this image was taken in the late 19th century the corn miller here was Richard Lister. The Lister family are listed on the census for 1851 and in a Kelly's directory for the West Riding of Yorks for 1897. In the photograph the waterwheel and weir can be seen. The mill ceased to operate in 1954 and became derelict until it was converted to a private dwelling in 1975.