View of the rear yard of the public baths at number 34 Hope Street. The turkish baths,(there were many throughout the country in the Victorian era), are thought to have opened in 1888 and closed in 1908. In 1899, according to Robinson's Leeds Directory, the proprietor was H. Rakusen. There is coal in the yard which would have been used to heat the baths. This area was due for demolition under the Local Government Provisional Orders (Housing of Working Classes) (no. 2) Bill. The view looks North-East.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.