6th October 1999.
Image shows Leeds Bridge as it spans the River Aire. It was built between 1871 and 1873 to designs by Thomas Dyne Steele of Newport. The wrought and cast iron was the work of John Butler Iron works of Stanningley. On the far left are warehouses of the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal. The white building, built in the Georgian period was where Jabez Tunnicliffe founded the Band of Hope. Also Louis Le Prince used his single lens camera in October 1888 to make the first moving pictures from a window on the second storey, the premises of ironmongers, Hick's Brothers. The short sequence shows pedestrians and traffic crossing the bridge and can be viewed on the 'Home' page of the Leodis Website. The red brick building, left of centre, is addressed as 20-22 Bridge End.