View of the former Odeon Cinema at the junction of The Headrow and New Briggate, shortly before it opened as Primark in August 2005. The Cinema, built on a site occupied by small shops and ale houses at a cost of £230,000, opened on 22nd February 1932 as The Paramount, with the first film being 'The Smiling Lieutenant'. The auditorium had a seating capacity of 2590 and a total of 1,235,674 patrons visited in the first year. The name Changed to The Odeon in 1940; it was converted to two screens in 1969, a third was added in 1978 and in 1988 it became a five screen Cinema. The Odeon closed in 2001.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.