1st September 1997
The Lord Mayor of Leeds, Councillor Linda Middleton, opens the Cookridge Hall Golf and Country Club on Cookride Lane, along with Leeds Rhinos Head Coach Dean Bell. Cookridge Hall is an old stone mansion dating back to the 17th century, when it was built by the Kirke family on a site previously owned by the Cistercian monks of Kirkstall. In 1722 it was sold to the Sheffield family of Lincolnshire, and it was occupied by tenants for most of the 18th and early 19th centuries. One of these, Richard Wormold, woollen merchant, bought it in 1820. In 1919 it changed hands again to the Paul family who had a tannery on Kirkstall Road. In 1954 it was converted to a home for epileptic patients. The 70 acres of surrounding land was sold to become Cookridge Hall Golf Course, opening in 1990; the hall itself was eventually sold to become the health and fitness club.