View of the newly built Kippax Branch Library in Cross Hills. It was a West Riding County Library and was opened on 15th November 1973 by County Alderman T. Batty. The construction work was contracted to Messrs. R.W. Chapman Ltd. of Leeds and it was completed in 17 months. The library is faced in handmade Windsor Grey bricks and riven slate cladding panels above and below the main windows. The West Riding County Council began operating a library service in Kippax in 1923. Then shop premises were converted to house a stock of 3,700 books in 1948. The new library is built on three levels to provide 3,000 square feet of space. Westfield Lane is to the right.