21st December 1983
Image shows the Eleventh Earl, formerly Stanhope Arms which stands at the junction of Broadway with Fink Hill. It was built for the land agent for the Spencer-Stanhope Estate, John Hardy, as a dwelling house and dates from c1750. It is listed as the 'Stanhope Arms' (Victualler, John Oddy) in Baines' Directory of the County of York published in 1822. In 1970 the name was changed to The Eleventh Earl to avoid confusion with the Stanhope Hotel in Calverley Lane.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.