View of Harewood House and grounds. The house was built to designs by John Carr of York for Edwin Lascelles (1713-1795) Lord of the Manor of Gawthorpe and Harewood. His father had become wealthy as a result of investment in the sugar plantations of the Caribbean. Capability Brown landscaped the grounds and the park, and the interior of the house was decorated by Robert Adam between 1765 and 1761. Harewood House is the seat of the Earl of Harewood.