View from the gated entrance in Micklefield Lane to the former Little London School. It would appear renovations have begun to convert the old school to dwellings. In 1846 Robert Milligan provided the funds to build this 'British Training School' to be run on principles established by a Quaker Educational Theorist called Joseph lancaster (1778 - 1838). There were 1,500 schools founded on Lancastrian principles located nationwide by 1851. The Baptists built a new Sunday School in 1884 but for a time they used the old school buildings. There was also a period when they were in use as Mechanics Institues. In a directory for 1908 the buildings are once more listed as a school and were enlarged in 1907 to accommodate 133 infants although there was an average attendance of 44. Miss Lavinia M. Peters was mistress at this time. The area in front of the buildings was used as a playground and there were two classrooms. Little London closed as a school in 1960 and until renovations were used to store equipment by the Education Authority. The school is now known as 'Micklefield Mews'.