9th December 1980.
View of the former Friends' School established in 1832 in the locality of Low Green off the main Leeds Road. It catered for boys initially but girls began to be admitted by 1836. Several extensions were added over the years and the school celebrated it's Golden Jubilee in 1882. The Superintendent of the school and his wife, Charles and Mary - Ann Barnard, retired from their posts after 22 years service and were presented with a gift on the occassion of the jubilee, 31st May, 1882. The school continued for a further 40 years before closing in 1921 due to financial considerations. Small businesses have more recently moved into the premises and Low Green is now designated as a conservation area.