9th December 1980.
Image shows vehicles parked next to the former Friends' School at Low Green. The properties now house small firms and businesses. A sign on the gable end of the School building reads 'Richardson & Barrett, joiners, builders aand cabinet makers'.
The school had a long history here from the date it was established in 1832 to when it finally closed in 1921. The Society of Friends (Quakers) identified a need for education with religious guidance for the children of families who attended meetings of worship. These families were not members of the Society but Samuel Tuke, a pioneer of education stated that 'These children do not come under the notice of any other body of Christians. If we do not care for them'. The premises were converted for the purpose from an old wool warehouse purchased for the sum of £1,600 from Jonas Thompson of Rawdon. The buildings were extended to include a new Girls' Wing in 1848 and the Boys' Wing was rebuilt in 1864-5. On the right Springfield Cottage is visible which fronts the main Leeds Road.