9th December 1980.
View of the, former premises of the Friends' School at Low Green off Cliffe Lane. The photographer is standing in Cliffe Lane looking into a yard surrounded by very old stone buildings. The Society of Friends (Quaker Movement) began to build Schools in the early 1830s, initially to provide religious guidence and education to families who were not of the Society but who did attend meetings of worship. Part of the building was originally a wool warehouse and the money for conversion was raised by subscription by 1832. (The school opened on 2nd April 1832). It celebrated it's Golden Jubilee in 1882 when an open day was held which included an exhibition of work and an old scholar's cricket match. At the time of this image the premises were occupied by various small businesses. There are signs for Moorland Press, Commercial Printers and Print Designers and Aireborough Eng Co. Ltd. Sheet Metal and General Engineers.