9th December 1980.
View of the stone built former premises of the Friends' School at Low Green off Cliffe Lane. A stone tablet on the wall reads 'Friends' School'. In the early 1830s the Society of Friends or Quaker movement becam concered about the education of the children of families who attended their meetings of worship. The were families who were not actually members of the Society. It was decided that schools should be provided to offer 'religious care in education'. The Friends' School opened on 2nd April 1832 on completion of the conversion of an old wool warehouse. Pupils would rise at 6 a.m. and go to bed at 8 p.m. and were expected to make their own beds, sweep the floors including the schoolroom, clean knives and boots, help with washing and take it in turns to lay the fires. Their lessons each day were between the hours of 9 and 12 noon and 2 and 5 p.m.